Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My hobby needed a little fire under by butt!

My hobby has been lacking lately, so I decided to follow through with an Idea I saw in use at Wargames Con. How about a kewl light up flame and smoke light. Here is what I did.

I went to Hobby Lobby and found a box of electronic tea lights. These electronic tea lights are made to randomly flicker as if it were a real lit candle but is a simple light that generates no heat. I found a box of 16 that also had a set of 16 spare batteries for $9.99.


Then I took some simple batting, (I used a synthetic batting but you could use cotton) and cut sections that would wrap around the base of the tea light. I then took PVA or Elmer's glue and ran a nice coating around the side of the base of the tea light. I used a rubber band to hold the batting to allow the glue to set. when dried I carefully removed the rubber bands.
This is what it looks like when the light is on at this step. but we are not quite finished yet.

Then I took the item outside to our spray area and grabbed some black spray, in this case flat black Krylon Spray. and sprayed it. as long as you don't have any open area's to the "flame" part of the tea light you will be fine. and it's okay to leave a hint of white in the batting. Also note that it's okay if the side of the tea light does get some black on it.
Here is what the finished item looks like with the lights lit.

That's all there is too it. They were quick and easy to make the hardest part was waiting for glue and paint to dry.

This concludes my hobby tip for the week. :)

1 comment: